Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mom to the Rescue

Whoa!...Whoa.

I have 6 kids. 6. I'm not crazy, at least I'm not trying to be, but 6. Who am I and what am I thinking?!?!..and what have I done with Karen?

I've been helping one of the older boys with a book report for days. His idea is for me to bring the dog to class and tell about our dog. I asked him about the book...is the dog central to the story, is it a main character, is there any connection between him and the dog and the book, other than 'there is a boy in the book who has a dog, and I have a dog, so for my book report, I had my mom bring our dog and look, here he is, my mom can answer questions about him..'.?

His answer..."a boy in my class gave a book report and brought his dog..."

Me: What book was he reporting on?

Son: I don't know

Me: Was the dog a main character in his report?

Son: I'm not sure

Me: Why don't you get some more information?...Do a comparison between the boy in the book and his dog, and you and our dog...you can show ways that you are similar and point out differences...

Son: But the kid in my class didn't do that, he just showed us his dog.

Me: "I'm not crazy. You're the one that's crazy. You're driving me crazy. Put me in an institution. Said it was the only solution....

I recall a science fair project he did in the 4th or 5th grade...procrastinated and delayed until the night before when he panicked and I said "I Told You So" and I stayed up late into the night completing his project so he wouldn't fail...I won 3rd prize in the science fair, and I kept the medal!

I love my lovely little heathens...they make me so full of crazy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How cool that you won 3rd place in the Science Fair. :P You should keep us updated on if you ended up bringing the dog or not.

Bertha Broadbottom said...

I didn't bring the dog. I told him to figure something else out. The book had blueberries in it, so he made blueberry muffins and shared them with his class. I think I might vaguely recall that in school I had to write and do some work for book reports. This "No child left behind" sucks...no challenge, no stimulation...my kids are getting lazy!