Saturday, September 13, 2008

Kid Free Weekend

All the kids have been gone since last night and I'm still more or less sane. I know when they're here, I tell them they're my reason for insanity, but nicely, and usually while I'm hugging them. (Matthew climbed into bed with us one morning, and asked Reed, "Papa, will you hug my neck?" Since then we tell the kids we'll hug their necks when they're being snots. "You seem to be having trouble today, come here and I'll hug your neck until you feel loved, or pass out, which ever happens first)...and although we do hug and hold them all, we do not choke them....but "hug my neck" gives a very funny visual picture.



I miss them. Their endless chatter, Nathan jumping out of laundry hampers to suprise me, Gabriels' dry humor with perfectly straight face, Darrian being squirly and wiggly, Michaels' persistance and charm, CrystalLynn wanting to be within my eyesight...making sure I'm always close by and Matthew with his intense desire to be big like his brothers but stay our baby. I hope they all know how precious they are, and I wonder if I'm conveying that to them.



This week Reed and I've had four of the kids, at different times, come into our room in the middle of the night, needing reassurance and love because of scary dreams. Each time they've asked if they can stay with us for a while, we've squeezed them into bed to snuggle. I get to hold them and talk to them about calm, sweet, sensible happy thoughts, "Sing your favorite primary song in your head sweetheart, or say a prayer to help you feel better." I listen to them until they're breathing rhythmically and I know they're asleep, then I carry them back to their bed, tuck them in, and stay with them until they're settled. It's weird to see their rooms empty, so I pull the door closed, and try not to open it until they're back.



What amazing beings they are, and how fortunate I am to have them in my life...but tomorrow afternoon when they are supposed to return home is so far off, and I want them here now so I can see them and hold them and know that everything's alright with them!

No comments: