Friday, September 5, 2008

Mmm...food!

Meal time is always complete chaos at our house. My two youngest, particularly, tickle my fancy frequently with their take on the English language as it applies to what we're eating.

One day in the kitchen, I was preparing lunch for my two sweet babies, (then currently 4 years old). Crystal asked what I was doing. "Making lunch," I said.
Smiling, she asked, "what kind of lunch?"
"Soup."
"What kind of soup?"
"Chicken."
"Chicken Little?" This she said with a straight face.
"Yes honey, Chicken Little."

The next was within weeks. I'd prepared an amazing meal, and when the kids were called to the table they decided that it wasn't what they were eating. In frustration, I asked what they wanted instead. The four big boys wanted grilled cheese sandwiches. Crystal said she, also, wanted a "girl" cheese sandwich. Matthew, the youngest and most determined to never be left out or out done piped up with, "I don't want girl cheese. I want a boy cheese sandwich."

The most recent food funny happened the other night with Brussel sprouts. Matthew, now almost 6, has decided that salad is ok and not a major source of contamination on his plate. As the bigger kids piled the sprouts onto their own plates, (What can I have done so wrong that my kids think Brussel sprouts are a treat?), Matthew protested from the table. "Mom, I want some little salad balls too!"

The food not-so-funny isn't the kids at all, but me. Some time ago, my husband found that if I laugh at the right moment while trying to swallow my food or beverage, I snort it into my sinus' and sometimes it comes clear out my nose. It started with a fudge brownie, and has included soda, Swiss Days bratzlies, ice cream of many varieties, breakfast sausage, sticky fingers at Winger's, pasta...you get the general idea.
This was bad enough when it was only Reed trying to induce this reaction, but the kids have learned from his example, and it is now a favorite family pastime to try and make stuff fly out mom's nose during meals. Ewww, gross!...yes I agree, and I'm appalled that my nose is the nose committing the offense!

I've resorted to eating before or after everyone else, to avoid and nasal-digestive complications. The boys have now resorted to making one another spray edible things. I may be raising them to be heathens, but they're all such sweet little heathens!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OK, this entry had me laughing so hard! Nate thinks I'm odd for laughing at the computer. :)