Thursday, October 9, 2008

My boys




Last night Gabriel and Nathan both attended their first etiquette dinner for young
men/young women. The boys put their name in a hat, and the girls drew a name from the hat to be paired for the evening.

A young lady in our Ward happened to be celebrating her 16th birthday. She got to draw first. She pulled Nathan out of the hat. (Keep in mind that Nathan is 13). One of the other kids shouted, "Hey, Nathan gets to take her on her first date!" I understand his reply was to flirt outrageously with her all night, exaggerated manners and lively conversation. She said she had a great time.

Gabriel got paired with a petite gal, and although he is usually shy around unfamiliar girls, he made the ultimate effort to be entertaining. He asked her about interests, she didn't have any. He asked what movies she's seen recently, she doesn't really watch movies. I think he left with a feeling of "are girls always so difficult?" To him I say, "Yes, babe. Yes they are, but never in a predictable or sensible way."

They'll always be my boys, but since when are they old enough/big enough/mature enough to want to be enchanting to girls?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember going to an etiquette dinner in YW once. Not sure if I enjoyed it or not. I love the look on Nathan's face in the bottom picture (that is Nathan, right? please forgive me if I'm wrong.) Anyway, he looks slightly freaked out.
Yeah, girls are odd. It doesn't ever change either.

Bertha Broadbottom said...

Yeah, that's Nathan. That was before a trip to the Manti Temple with his cousins. More than a year ago! I need to get better acquainted with my computer and camera so I can update photos and stuff!

CKW said...

No way is Nathan 13!! To me he is still around 7! Of course my brother;s in their 20's are still pre-tenns as well, so I doubt that will ever change. He looks a lot like you!