Wednesday, October 29, 2008

...So I said I'd tell you about the gum...



Nathan was having trouble with his asthma, I'd already picked him up from school before Gabriel's talent show. We got to the Middle School gym right as the students were starting to file in, and somehow ended up in the bleachers surrounded by 7th graders.



Nathan and I were both chewing gum. I didn't think it would be a problem, we aren't students there. As Nathan got the camera ready and we waited for some measure of quiet, a teacher approached Nathan on his other side. The teacher started to talk to him, and I wasn't paying attention...I was watching people adjust the microphone...I was turned away from the teacher, so she couldn't see my face. (It probably didn't help that I was wearing a bright pink hoodie with "Bloo" from 'Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" on the front of it).



I felt Nathans body tense up next to me, so I turned to see what was going on. I caught a few important words like: gum, school, rules, all students...

I swallowed my gum, and just then another teacher, one that recognized Nathan from last year, appeared at our side to ask what the problem was. The first teacher seemed surprised that I was an adult, and the other teacher told her that we weren't students and she didn't need to enforce the rule with us.


The first teacher said that Nathan had been a student last year, and knew the rules, and should therefore throw away his gum. I smiled and said, "Nathan, hurry and swallow your gum, I don't want to get in trouble". He stuck his gum to the roof of his mouth as he swallowed with difficulty.

The first teacher turned and left, the second apologized and took a seat nearby. Some time later I noticed Nate happily chewing away again. I told him not to be so obvious about it, and not to get caught again. He laughed at me, told me he couldn't believe I'd swallowed my gum...I guess they couldn't have sent me to detention or anything like that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL, that's hilarious! Just can't get away from those pesky school rules, can you? :)