Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mom To The Rescue!!!

Remember when my boys were tiny and angelic and I was still bigger than they were?...well I'm having massive denial that they're growing so quickly. Nathan is officially taller than I am, and Gabriel will outgrow me this year. Darrian and Michael are both big enough now that they are difficult to lift, and although I can still throw Matthew or CrystalLynn over my shoulder, they've let me know that it's not always very dignified. "Mom, people are looking at us, put me down!"

Where was I going with this?...I remember a dear friend stepping on a toothpick and having her dad try to remove it from the sole of her foot with pliers...suddenly I find that my two oldest are mature enough for this kind of first aid. I stepped down on a needle point needle in my bedroom, it went clear into my heel!...Ouch!..."Nate, Gabe, run and grab the needle nose pliers from the drawer in the kitchen and bring a bottle of rubbing alcohol and some cotton."

"What do you need this for?" upon their return. "Gabe, you hold my leg down, Nate, brace my ankle so my foot doesn't run away when I start pulling." No tears, no holding of breath, just a robust, "Mom that is so gross!" Everyone lived, but now there are 2 smart Alec's that tease me about trying to stitch my own foot...trying and failing miserably!...Isn't that why we have children?...to teach us humility or to improve our sense of humor?...

3 comments:

CKW said...

You remember the toothpick incident! I still have the darn thing, actually. And you are pretty brave. If I remember right, I flat out insisted on being taken to the doctor who took it out with pliers and then flushed it out with a syringe and then gave me a tetanus shot to top it off. It wasn't the best day.

P.S. I join you in denial that Nathan can possible by taller than you.

Unknown said...

Um, ouch! On both the toothpick incident and the needle. Hopefully your foot's OK!

And, since I'm reading the Foo books right now, when I read about the toothpick, all I could think of was "Oh no! Poor Geth."

Bertha Broadbottom said...

I avoid the dr as much as possible, I have a bad habit of fainting at inconvenient moments...I'd rather not do it in an office full of strangers!

And Gabe's reading the Foo books, loves them. Leave it to me to raise children with strong imaginations who love reading!...'Yes dear, put down your book and go out into the sunlight, before you turn into an albino and are allergic to daylight'.